Tuesday, January 10, 2012

No knead bread..


My first no-knead bread made in my first cast iron dutch oven.  I've been making no-knead pizza dough and no-knead challah for a while now and love both recipes.



Baking this bread was a pretty easy, hands-off experience- I used the original recipe from the NY Times way back when that I'd been wanting to make for several years. Just had to acquire the dutch oven (thanks Mom!).

I think with warmer weather the bread will rise more.. I had to let the initial dough sit almost 2 days (as compared to the recommended 12-18 hours at 70 degrees/room temp) because our room temp is closer to 50 and double all the other waiting times as well. 

Albert and I spent the most of the day on a juice fast to boost our 2012 resolutions of good health and exercise. Without really following any strict "cleanse" rules, we started our morning with hot water, lemon, honey and a pinch of cayenne. Then twice this morning and twice this afternoon we had pints of freshly juiced veggies and fruits. (A.M.- carrot, apple, ginger, parsley P.M.- carrot, celery, apple, parsley, beet greens plus a shot of an odwalla green smoothie packed full of spirulina, wheatgrass, etc.) 

Around 5pm, I was experiencing crankiness and absolutely needed to try the bread. Really good with a little olive oil and rosemary to dip! Prior to juice cleanse day 1, we had decided to just drink a lot all day and eat a healthy light dinner like kale salad or sushi. Upon tasting the bread we decided to have beans with homemade canned tomato sauce and kale for dinner. With the rest of the bread. 


No comments: