Saturday, May 16, 2009

Now that winter is over

I've been meaning to share this recipe that I've been adapting all winter. We made it pretty much every week as we had probably 40 pounds of potatoes by the end of our CSA share (which, by the way, starts again next week and I am so excited). Colcannon is pretty cheap to make and really fills you up.

My friend Jen and I went rhubarb and asparagus picking last week and though I wish there was more asparagus to pick, it was still really fun. I sauted the asparagus with the last shallot from winter, some garlic, a tsp of lemon zest and fresh lemon juice.

Colcannon (a mish-mash of recipes)

2.5-3 lbs potatoes (I really don't measure- just cut up enough potatoes into big chunks (skins on) to cover the bottom of a big pot by an inch or two (maybe 6-8 big potatoes?).)
2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 a green cabbage or 1.5 pounds of kale, finely chopped
1 broccoli, super-chopped (I mean baby florets)

1 cup chopped leeks
1 cup evaporated milk (or half and half for more decadence)
1-2 Tbls chopped parsley (optional- I chop parsley when I have it into ice cube trays with a touch of water and freeze for all winter- this translates to 1 parsley ice cube)
1/2 tsp pepper

Cover the potatoes and 1 tsp salt with water (by 2 inches) and boil for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Once the potatoes are on, I chop the cabbage and add that so they all cook together.

While the potatoes and cabbage cook, in a small sauce pan, combine the milk, leeks and parsley. Heat on medium for 10 min or so (I do this until my frozen leeks and parsley ice cube are defrosted and cooked. This will probably finish before the potatoes are done- so just turn off the heat and let sit.

At the end of the potato cooking time, throw in the broccoli (they only need a minute or so in the boiling water).

Drain the veggies and return to pot. Add the milk mix, 1 tsp (or more to taste) salt, the pepper and some plops of butter. I mash it all together with my immersion blender, but mash however you choose (a potato ricer works okay- but you have to scrape it frequently b/c of all the potato skins and cabbage bits). That's it!

I always mean to add lots of cheese and bake this in a casserole, but forget to. Leftovers are great for breakfast on a skillet (I think this is called bubble and squeak).

On hopefully the last chilly day for months, Pidge slept in a paper bag all day with her chewed up pal, Mousey (thanks again Sam!).

No comments: