Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Honey Coconut Granola


Check out these beauties we spied on Sunday. I always forget how much bigger  they are then what I imagine cute little deer to be. Mama and two babies perhaps?


Here is a little granola family. I've used the same recipe to start for over 10 years now- the steno notebook paper is almost totally greased through. As with most recipes, I add in and substitute ingredients depending on what I have on hand. Here's a rough version:

Honey Coconut Granola

preheat oven to 250 degrees. You'll need 2 cookie sheets with a raised edge (so the granola doesn't spill everywhere.

8 cups oats
1 cup almond slivers
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
(mix them up in a big bowl)

1/2 cup honey/agave combo
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2? cup water
1/4 cup oil
a few teaspoons of vanilla
teaspoon of cinnamon extract (I used homemade: sticks of cinnamon seeping in vodka for months)
(mix them up in another bowl)

Stir this all together, spread on the pans and bake for an hour to 90min, stirring every half hour or so. I know it's done when it makes a crispy sprinkly sound on the pan when I stir (like cereal) instead of the damp gloppy sound before you cook it and it is golden colored.

10 min before it's done, throw in a handful of unsweetened coconut flakes to toast. That's it! Really good to snack on while it is still warm.

I had a bowl for lunch with vanilla almond milk. Yum.


No comments: