Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What a dinner!


A feast of arepas and the last episode of season one of The Wire (I know- we're a little late).

Ever since our spontaneous trip to Brooklyn a few weeks ago, I have been dreaming of these.. Tonight I tried my hand making arepas using this website as my guide. So delicious! Not too difficult to make- basically a dough from special precooked corn flour, warm water and a splash of salt and oil. Little patties slow cooked on my cast iron pan for about 10 minutes a side, then finished in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes. I was especially happy with the fillings inspired by our meal at Caracas. On the right: sliced avocado and a bit of mozzarella. If only we had plaintains to top it with... On the left: garlic, onion, kale, tomatoes, soy chorizo and scallions with a bit of feta. Now I need to find a source for this flour in our neck of the woods (thank you Erin for the bag you gave us!)


No comments: